Posted on September 20, 2017
Well, yes. They may not have lied intentionally, but it only takes one initial lie or scientific misunderstanding for a complete myth to arise. In our originally very religious society, a lot of myths around sex toys and masturbation have developed. Today we check out 10 you can safely dismiss.
- Girls don’t masturbate – Sorry, simply not true! Survey results vary, but generally around 90% of men and 60% of women admit to having masturbated in their life.
- Masturbation will affect your mental functioning – There is actually some pseudo-scientific bunkum about that modifies logic and uses a lot of big words to re-hash an old myth that simply isn’t true. Masturbation does not make you crazy, nor does it negatively affect your mental functioning… apart from maybe in the 5 minutes afterwards as your blood flow to the brain re-establishes itself!
- Masturbation can make guys run out of sperm – Men will continue to produce as much sperm as their genetic limits set, for all of their reproductive years.
- Overuse of sex toys means you can’t reach orgasm any other way – Women often worry that if they overuse their vibrator or other sex toy, they won’t be able to come without it. There is no physiological basis for this concern – if it occurs, the cause is probably psychological.
- People in relationships don’t/shouldn’t masturbate – This is up to every couple to decide individually! There is no overarching moral code or humanistic reason that it shouldn’t happen.
- People in relationships don’t/shouldn’t use sex toys – Sex toys don’t replace good partnered sex, but augment it. Again, it’s not hurting anybody…
- Kelloggs Cornflakes will help me stop masturbating – They were formulated to do just that! Unfortunately, all the celibate intentions in the world can’t cause an ordinary food to change your interest in sex or solo play. Luckily John Harvey Kellogg’s medical knowledge was completely made-up.
- Masturbation causes people to commit sex crimes – Sigh. Simply not true. Masturbation is as widespread among healthy, socially adapted, non-criminal members of society as it is among sex offenders.
- Girls only use vibrators in a relationship because the guy can’t make them come – Girls use vibrators when in a relationship for all different reasons. One of the most commonly cited is speed – it’s faster and easier to use a vibe than go for a marathon session! There is no suggestion of inadequacy at any time.
- Sex toys are addictive – Many things in life have the potential to create addiction… but many people use alcohol, pokie machines, even cigarettes occasionally without becoming addicted. The same is true of vibrators and adult toys.
Posted on September 19, 2017
We love going to Toys R Us and of the toy stores, because the displays are just amazingly vibrant – all the counters and walls are draped with these bright, blazing primary colors with packages designed to capture the eye and hold your attention.
For us, it’s also fun going to couples’ stores where adult toys are sold, because the displays are strikingly the same, awash in primary colors with a few more bright pinks, reds and purples – though the imagery is typically far from family friendly.
We’re enthused that adult toys have become more mainstream, but we also know there are a lot of people out there who are reluctant to consider the use of what used to be called “marital aids” in their bedroom repertoire. Many couples won’t even set foot in an adult video or toy store for fear of what the neighbors might say, or just a feeling that those toys are only used by swingers or people obsessed with sex.
Well, having been sexologists for nearly a decade, we have a little news for you – your neighbors have probably already been there.
Toys can be a healthy and welcome addition to a couple’s bedroom practices, but we do understand the reasons why many people haven’t yet ventured behind the curtain to see what’s out there for them. So, we’ve assembled a few of the reasons we’ve heard over the years, with a slightly more enlightened view to counter them.
- Only Dirty People Use Them – There is a sense, you could even call it a mild prudishness that some couples have regarding sex toys. We attribute that to the compressed conflict that is sexuality in America. We use sex to sell cars, beer, Web site domains (thanks for the cheesecake, GoDaddy!) and even corn chips, but we are reluctant to address our own sexuality with the same openness. Sex isn’t dirty, unless, of course, thinking of it as dirty is a turn-on for you. The truth is, sex is healthy, fun and downright necessary for a strong, long-term romantic relationship. Being ashamed of enjoying sex is like being ashamed of eating to us. It’s a normal, healthy human activity when performed by consenting adults. So, if sex isn’t dirty, neither are toys used to enhance the sexual experience. If you’ve never gone to an adult toy store, the initial imagery may be a little shocking, but if you go in with an open mind, you might actually find yourself having fun before you know it.
- Toys Are Only for Masturbation – Over the years, as the sexual revolution took hold, women became empowered and chose to indulge their desires with or without a partner and stop being ashamed of their own sexuality. The sale and use of vibrators and other toys skyrocketed, and these toys became associated primarily with masturbation. But that is not their only function. In point of fact, many toys are far more effective and fun when they are wielded by a partner. Now, you don’t really need to be a sexologist to figure that out. A little basic geometry is all you need. When you compare the range of angles a woman can reach using her own arm to the range of motion by a partner who is correctly positioned, it’s clear that a partner can do a lot more with those toys to help a woman receive the full benefit of whatever implements she may have in the toy bag. In fact, many toys on the market today are specifically designed to be used by a partner and are practically useless for masturbation. So, wipe away that old connotation of toys. Some games are most definitely more fun when played by two.
- Toys Will Replace Me as a Partner – As a tandem of the above concern, some partners are concerned that some toys may deliver sensations and experiences that just cannot be matched by simple human to human interaction, and they fear that the toys will replace them in bed. Granted, there are some toys that are very ingenuitive these days, from swivel-headed vibrators to the Sybian (think of a sit-down vibrator run by an outboard motor), and we completely understand how they can be a little intimidating. There has been many a partner who has had to peel a woman off the ceiling after experiencing some of the more innovative devices on the market. But a toy cannot replace the sexual dynamic that two people can achieve together. The largest and most important sexual organ in the human body is the brain, and no matter the horsepower of the toy involved, they have yet to market anything with the imagination and creativity of the human mind. By joining your partner in the enjoyment of toys, you will be an inextricable part of their sexual lives and your role will be secure as long as you share your hearts and your imaginations together.
So don’t be afraid. Minds work best when they are open. And so do toys, once they are out of the box and in your bedroom.
Drs. Chuck and Jo-Ann Bird
Posted on September 17, 2017
Glass sex toys are one of the best types of sex aid that are available in the adult marketplace today. You may think that glass would be a dangerous type of material to use in an adult toy but you would be wrong. Glass sex toys are perfectly safe to use because they are commonly made from medical grade borosilicate glass (which is a hard glass) that is non-toxic and will withstand an extreme range of different temperatures as well as physical pressures without causing damage to it.
What Makes Glass Sex Toys Different to Others?
Glass sex toys are different to other types of adult toy available as they are hand crafted and designed to withstand a lifetime of wear and tear whereas other adult toys may only last a short period of time depending upon how frequently they are employed. Similarly to other sex toys, glass sex toys can be used for both anal and vaginal pleasures. However, unlike other adult toys, ones that are made from toughened glass can not only be used as they appear but can also be warmed up using a microwave or hot running water or alternatively, cooled down using cold running water or by being placed in the freezer. This dexterity allows a whole different variety of sensations to be experienced by the user or users therefore potentially creating more pleasure than a regular type of dildo that does not have the facility to do this. Additionally, glass dildos are also non-porous so are entirely waterproof, which not only means that they can be cooled down or warmed up using running water but also allows for them to be used in the shower, bath or even a Jacuzzi!
Are Glass Sex Toys Expensive?
To give an accurate answer to this question, it all depends upon what you are looking for in an adult toy. For beginners, a small inexpensive dildo or vibrator may often be the ideal starting point as the user may or may not find that they like the experience of using adult toys. However, if the user or users enjoy using sex toys and want to continue for the foreseeable future, glass sex toys are definitely worth the investment. For a quality glass dildo prices begin at around the £30 mark and can go up to anything as high as around £100. However, you must take into consideration that not only are glass sex toys practically a work of art with their beautiful glass patterns but they are also intended to last a lifetime and can produce more than one type of sexual sensation. They are hypoallergenic and feel so smooth, even the ones with surface ridges and protrusions, that user’s often comment on how sexy they make them feel whilst using them. Glass dildos are even strong even to be washed in the dishwasher and come out unscathed!
Glass Dildos Branch Out
Adult toys made out of glass do not just come in the form of dildos as most commonly thought. Recently glass sex toys have branched out and now come in the guise of vibrators. There are now glass adult toys available that have a vibrator fixed into the length of the glass and those that have an outer glass casing into which a slim-line vibrator can be inserted. As this vibrator is removable, it can also be used for pleasures minus the glass casing. Furthermore, there is now even a vibrating glass rabbit available that is especially curved for g-spot stimulation which comes with a cleverly located removable bullet vibe with an incredible 10 different varieties of pulsation. Now that’s what you call diversity!
Glass sex toys, either with or without vibration, could be well worth the investment if you like the experience that sex toys give you.